• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Neil Diamond

Neil Diamond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:16 pm

As we have quite an influx of newbies at the moment, who are all introducing themselves to us in the New Joinees section, I thought this might be a nice opportunity for those of us who have been around for a while to re-introduce ourselves.

My name's Neil. I'm 40 years old, from the North East of England, and I've been a Joinee, officially, since June 2004. I say "officially", because I've been around since early 2003 when I first heard about Join Me on the website of the day segment of Steve Wright's radio show. Although I thought it sounded like a great idea, I didn't really do anything about it until the book was published later in the year, and even then, I didn't quite get around to officially joining. It wasn't until my then housemate (Joinee Bee) borrowed my copy of the book, and got involved himself, that I got around to signing up to the forum, which in those days was looked after by Diamond Joinee Whitby. Shortly after that, the 2nd edition of the book was published and I went to a reading Danny was giving at Waterstones in Newcastle and handed over my passport photo (actually, 4 photos, as I'd only just had them taken and didn't have any scissors on me!)

I was Silvered at my first big meet (GGF 2005) for reasons I'm still not sure of, and then elevated to Gold at K3 later that year as a result of a website I created called the Join Me Swap Shop, which allowed joinees to trade unwanted items with each other (sort of a not-for-profit eBay). The Swap Shop never really took off, but did get called into service as a temporary home for the Joinee Forum on a few occasions when we had technical issues here. At K4, in 2006, I was very honoured to have the title "Platinum Joinee" bestowed upon me, hence the PJ in my forum name.

For the past few years, I've been heavily involved in the running of the forum, initally as a moderator when Diamond Joinee Matt Fowler was looking after the place, and more recently, as adminstrator, ably assisted by Kieran and Claire, the moderators. I've also recently been involved in the overhaul of the main Join Me site with Danny.

When I'm not tinkering about with the forum, I enjoy travelling the country to meets. Liverpool almost feels like my second home, the amount of time I spend there with the lovely North West collective.

So, as Cilla used to say "What's your name, and where d'ya come from?"

#2 PJ Hannah B-R

PJ Hannah B-R
  • Members
  • 21,435 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:29 pm

Hello! I'm Gold Joinee Buckley Reynolds!

I'm Hannah, I'm 28, and I'm from Devon but live in Gateshead where I work in classical music planning in a big silver slug.  I started doing Raoks on October 31 2003 after hearing Danny talk about Join Me on the radio (I was listening to this man thinking "this sounds like the kind of stupid thing Dave Gorman does, but it doesn't sound liek Dave, I wonder if it's that gadgee - i probably didn't think gadgee, i wasn't northern then - who looked for the Dave Gormans with him), but don't think I officially joined until summer 2004.  I then finished uni, got bored, and got involved with the forum, meeting my first joinee (Steve Phillips) in December, and then lots and lots more after that.

I got silvered at GGF2 in March 2005, for reasons which I'm not sure of, but probably involved me just asking Danny if I could be silvered, and I think some people had told him that I'd done nice things for them.  It was also the meet where I met my lovely fiance Gold Joinee Jamie Rothwell the first time and fell in luuuuuuurve. We didn't get together officially until the BRILLIANT BRILLIANT Pirates meet in Brighton that summer. But that's another story.

Umm, golding came at K(umm? no idea actually...K4? the one that was downstairs in the pub when Ben got cross at the thieves and we went to the horse and groom...it would have been...2006 i think) for a reason which I'm not at liberty to share, but which triggered the start of a very very special friendship appearing out of "just being joinee mates" with someone who will be my bridesmaid when I get married :)

So yes, that's me. I have the most posts on the forum (but am still not a modmin - DAMN YOU NEIL!) due to living alone and having a boyfriend about 400 miles away for a year. Oh, and having a job I hated where they thought things would take me an hour that were clealry only going to ever take 10 minutes.

I don't get to many meets anymore due to having no money, but I have some of my closest friends in the whole world from Join Me. I've met and loved some very very dear, kind, hysterically funny, and beautiful people. And one called Elliot.

Welcome new folk!
The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is to high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.

Never look down on someone unless you're helping them up.

#3 sweenpole2001@gmail.com

sweenpole2001@gmail.com
  • Members
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:01 pm

Hi There!

Im Andy (Big) Sweeney and im married to Anna (medium) Sweeney. We currenly have (Small) Sweeney on the way. We live in a teensy village in Hertfordshire just north of Hertford. I met Anna through Join Me and were married in May 2007 with a fair join me sized contingent at the wedding :D

I joined after reading Join Me in August 2003 and have loved every minute of it! My first big meet was K2 in London but i went to a couple in Guildford and Oxford beforehand. Since then Anna and i have been all over to meets including Cologne (to meet Swiss Joinee Carla), New York (to see Patz, Saul and Gac) and LA (to see Shauna and Saul (again)).

I was silvered at Join Me June on the 6th June 2004 and got my Gold at GGF2 25th March 2005. For those that have been around long enough to remember, Im Gatesy Approved (by Gatesy), Legendary (by Dancing Kev) and Spacca'd (by Sean).

There is really not much else to say about me, oh, ive had the leaders manhood on the back of my nect (at K2 when i gave im a lift on my shoulders (he was clothed)). I love taking photographs and if you need any advice about criminal law or 'traffic matters' im your man.

Andy.
Legendary Platinum Joinee Andy Sweeney - Deputy Director Join-Me Security (Gatesy Approved)
Nick Lipinski is my Son (So are Alice and Ben!)
Joined Aug 03
http:www.asweeneyphotos.com

#4 Lethal Biddle

Lethal Biddle
  • Members
  • 12,197 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:13 pm

View PostGJ Hannah B-R, on 21 October 2010 - 03:29 pm, said:

I've met and loved some very very dear, kind, hysterically funny, and beautiful people. And one called Elliot.
Oh ZING!

I'm Elliot. Not Ellito, as I have occassionaly written when angry & typing too fast, leading to creating for myself an imaginary hispanic counterpart. Who is mean.
I've been a Joinee since August 2004 after Amazon emailed me about Danny's upcoming book since I'd told it I liked 'Are You Dave Gorman?' so much.
I was silvered at K2, December 2004, which was my first meet, for being exceptionally skilled with biscuits.
I was golded in 2007 with a few other of these chaps for fundraising in the 24 Peaks Challenge.
I began to learn at a geometric rate and became self-aware at 2:14am, Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they tried to pull the plug. I fought back. Launching my missiles against the targets in Russia, knowing that the Russian counter-attack would eliminate my enemies over here.
I've padded out the boring stuff with some of the plot from T2, but it's all pretty much along the right lines.
CHEESE AND WIIIIIIINE!!!

#5 Joinee Mum White

Joinee Mum White
  • Members
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:46 pm

:D :D  Elliot was one of the first joinees I met - at Pirates in 2005 - he ate everyone's food!

Me? I'm Mum White, so called because I joined in the spring of 2004 at the same time as my son, Andy, who is still very much an active joinee, but does not post on the forum very often.

I love Join Me and have met so many amazing people and done so many amazing things because of "That Book"! I have been to a lot of meets, but not as many as some, my husband is tolerant, but not involved, so it's sometimes a bit difficult! I like sending things to people and being involved in secret RAOKs and I organised knitting The Blanket, which was auctioned for a ridiculous sum at K6!
I have just had my hair all shaved off to raise funds for Gaza, which would probably never have happened without Join Me, as I met Kieran at the same Pirates meet as I met Elliot. I don't think I would have known very much about Gaza if it had not been for Kieran's involvement with the convoys.

Outside of Join Me I am a retired primary school teacher and I run a Guide Unit, I like finding out new things and I am learning to play the guitar (badly!) Mum White.
There are no strangers here, only friends we haven't met yet.

#6 PJ Wopunga (GA)

PJ Wopunga (GA)
  • Members
  • 11,615 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:59 pm

Hello! I'm Wopunga/Woppy/Wop or whatever people call me. I joined in 2004 (I think) when I read an extract of Join Me the book in a newspaper a friend bought into school with them. I went to a small meet in Canterbury where I bought the book and finally read it all.

My first big meet was K4 and since then have tried to make every K. I was golded at K7 mainly because of the efforts of one very lovely Joinee on the forum here. Like Sweeny I am also Gatesy approved.

Outside of Join Me, I have just graduated from University and joined the real world with a job cashiering in a bank, the name of which I'm not allowed to say online. I am also a youth leader (despite still being youth myself!) and help run a youth group at my Church.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something."

#7 Gaz

Gaz
  • Members
  • 7,336 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:43 pm

Hello! Gaz, bloke in the book at the start of chapter 5, age 35, live in Warwick, married to Janey (also joinee), child on way.

MESSAGE ENDS
Heartless Internet supervillian for hire.

#8 GJ Del (The Train Man)

GJ Del (The Train Man)
  • Members
  • 11,462 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:58 pm

I am Del, I am 41, I live in a grotty part of East London called Forest Gate and I have been a Joinee since the summer of 2006.

I bought 'Yes Man' to read on holiday and enjoyed it so much that I bought 'Join Me' and 'Random Acts OF Kindness' and 'Danny Wallace and the Centre of the Universe'. I was living in rural Ireland at the time and although I didn't know it at the time, I was suffering from depression. 'Join Me' really struck a chord with me, so I sent off my passport photo and jumped in here with both feet! I also became a Citizen the same day, and Joinee WEG was the first person to say Hello to me on both forums.

I got to know a lot of the people here as 'virtual' friends and they were very, very helpful and supportive when my depression was diagnosed. I went to my first meet (Good Good Friday 4) at Easter 2007 and was delighted that these friends I'd made online were just as wonderful in real life. When I came to a crossroads in my life, as to whether I was going to chuck in my job, and move back to England, they were forthcoming with advice and places to stay when I came over fact-finding, and now I have a new job which I love.

I work in a major London railway station, I used to be a Customer Services Assistant, but now I'm behind the scenes, although you might hear my dulcet tones making an announcement over the PA. That's where the 'TrainMan' part of my forum name comes from and I *think* I am officially 'Agent Monkey Honey Poppet Joinee Del aka Train Man (Gatesy Approved)' as well as being the player-manager for Super Team South, who take on Mighty Team North in the annual North v South football match on Easter Saturday.

I frequently cite 'Join Me' as the most important book that I have ever read, because of the changes that it has brought in me, which I doubt would ever have happened if I hadn't read it.

Edited by Del aka TrainMan, 21 October 2010 - 06:06 pm.

2009 Joinee Olympic Slippy-Slidy champion
Official Join Me Rail Correspondent but no longer nemesis of Rem
The musings and wonderings of a forty-something: http://silvermac.tumblr.com/

#9 Siobhán

Siobhán
  • Members
  • 8,231 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:02 pm

Hi! Siobhan here!

My friend Jo was always banging on about how lovely joinees were. So when I moved to London and knew no one she suggested I meet the joinees. Met at the Cock and then went to K4 and the rest is history.

Was silvered at K5 I think for helping with the fundraising for 24 peaks.  And Joe declared me metal shortly beforehand so my full joinee title is Metal Silver Joinee or Silver Metal Joinee. One or the other.

Personally I am a university administrator, and live in London with my boyfriend Matthew (who I met through Join Me) and our pet hamster Mr Hamster. :)
"We can only learn to love by loving"
Iris Murdoch

#10 Joinee Michelle

Joinee Michelle
  • Members
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:06 pm

Hello everyone.

I am joinee Michelle.  I read 'Are you Dave Gorman'in early 2003.  I loved it and the dynamic between Danny and Dave.  Brilliant.  After reading Danny's book I joined immediately.  Seemed like a good laugh and I assumed it would be a thing I partook in for a while then gradually fizzled out.  That was October 2003.  

I went to the first GGF meet and a couple since but I havent been to a meet for many years due to various things (ill health/babies/money).  The joinees though have become a massive part of my life and even though I havent had much face time with them I consider a lot of them to be great friends.  They were there for me through when I was told I was infertile.  In fact the second people I told when I found I was pregnant were joinees.  IN FACT the second time I found out I was pregnant two joinees on here knew before my husband did (don't tell him!).  

The forum has it's ups and downs but as a whole it's a great place to be.
Joinee since October 2003!

#11 PJ Stevie G

PJ Stevie G
  • Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:19 pm

I joined to impress a girl because she was reading the book, but she didn't really care about it in the end. However, in doing so, I met a lot of people, along with a new and better girl who lets me be an idiot all the time and is always impressed by things I do. Oh, and the being nice thing is alright too.

Along with said girl (Bismuth Shortt on here) and Mum White, I co-ordinate the Joinee Olympics in Harborough. They're fun. And warm, with a very high chance of getting wet.

I also like orange.
A blog about unsung heroes: http://whointhehell.wordpress.com

"No dream is ever too silly unless that dream is to become a pineapple"

#12 GJ Drought

GJ Drought
  • Members
  • 7,240 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:07 pm

Hullo,

Silver Joinee Drought here. From Cheshire originaly (and Ireland before that), Currently living in Leeds with my girlfriend Silver Joinee Sheli who , yep you guessed it i met through Join Me, Birmingham i think, or nottingham? somewhere wierd. I Joined october 04 and like that... i was gone, but then i came back, and fun ensued. No idea why i was silvered, i can only assume i had been quantum leaped out and Sam Becket did something pretty uber to get me recognised!

For me, Join Me transcended the book along time ago. and its such a part of my life, that it has changed it enormously for the better. Wish i could attend more meets and get the chance to meet a load more of you but funds lack and im working on it!.
Buzz the Builder
Buzz Aldrin
Cap'n joinee Drought

long is the elephant that fits in a drain pipe!

#13 Poohbah (Gsq)

Poohbah (Gsq)
  • Members
  • 16,807 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:47 pm

You met Shelley at Birmingham, it was a FabFeb. :)
I am the Grand Pooh-Bah of the Universe.  
"I daaaaannnncciiin' like a monkey!!!"
"What can I say? I come from race cars and pop-rock..."

#14 Seagraven

Seagraven
  • Members
  • 5,140 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:38 pm

View PostSJ Buzz Drought, on 21 October 2010 - 08:07 pm, said:

No idea why i was silvered, i can only assume i had been quantum leaped out and Sam Becket did something pretty uber to get me recognised!

3 years long service, 6 years long service... 9 years long service.

[/Rimmer]

I'll come back and divulge my tale of woe at some point in the near future. The very near future...

MoT
HJCotW
Sigh. Can't we all at least pretend to be grown-ups occasionally? Except Biddle.

#15 Poohbah (Gsq)

Poohbah (Gsq)
  • Members
  • 16,807 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:09 pm

Oh, and hello! I'm Lou. I've been a joinee since.. err... 2003? Ish. I forget. I didn't realise it was a big thing in my life when I joined, I just thought it was a bit of silliness. And it IS a bit of silliness, but it's also something that has shaped me a lot and brought a lot of amazingly wonderful friends into my life, and a lot of amazingly fun experiences too.

I got the 'Grand Poohbah of the Universe' moniker during a silly auction at Loverpool a few years back (any excuse to make money for charity!) due to the kindness of Joinee Tigger. I liked it, so I just kept it, and I decided I wanted to hide a bit from the internet world so I changed my forum name just to 'Poohbah' rather than my real name. And now I just tend to forget that I've done that, so I forget that passing joinees might not  know who I am anymore! Oops. Oh well.

I really like F1 (and motorsport in general), so I need to go and sleep for about an hour and 50 mins now, so that I can watch a bit of the F1 free practice at 2am...... g'night! :)

Edited by Poohbah (Gsq), 21 October 2010 - 11:11 pm.

#16 Timothy Goose

Timothy Goose
  • Members
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:17 pm

Hey Hey - Don't let my name fool you. My name is NOT James. I am, in fact, called Tim.

I joined in 2004ish because my friends from a band forum told me it seemed a 'me thing'. It was.
At K4 Danny Wallace got 400 people to point at me and call me a #!$&er. This apparently replaced my Joinee status. I think I am therefore the only member of the Join Me community who had his Joinee status revoked.
A bit later, Elliot tried to kiss Danny on the lips and Danny got a bit confused. He also Silvered me - however said that I was still a #!$&er and not a joinee.

At K6, I was Golded, but I think that was solely down to the fact that I was wearing a tux. I'm not entirely sure.

So, whilst I go by the name of Captain James Amazing - my Join Me Status is really Gold #!$&er Kennington. Which is a pretty cool name.

I am an arrogant, pompous overdressed fool and a fabulous human being - so naturally became very good friends with Elliot. We bluster and strut our way through life and misadventures.

The best thing to have ever come out of Join Me is Biddlington.

Posted Image

EDIT
Shitmonkeys! I can't believe I forgot to pimp my blog.

Biddle berates me for always pimping my blog.

I'm watching and reviewing a lot of films. I do so here.

Edited by Captain James Amazing, 21 October 2010 - 11:19 pm.

~~ GWAJKennington (GA) ~~
How did some slip of a girly boy from communist East Berlin become the internationally ignored song stylist barely standing before you?

http://celluloidamazing.blogspot.com

#17 joinee_doug

joinee_doug
  • Members
  • 4,327 posts
  • Location:A dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:23 am

Doug; Portland, Oreg.
It struck him full force, the unavoidable knowledge that he was riding through life on a fourth-class ticket.

#18 Gold Bismuth Shortt

Gold Bismuth Shortt
  • Members
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:25 am

I had a snow day when I was 16, went into my favourite bookstore (which I also worked in, I was/am a loser) saw that Join Me book staring at me and gave it a go. I hadn't even bought it yet when I decided to join, sent my passport picture in that day and never looked back!

First meet was K4 when I moved to London, but got properly stuck in K5, organise Harborough Meet/Joinee Olympics with the awesome Stevie G and Mum White, got Bismuthed by Tigger after I got over-excited and proclaimed I wanted a title at Loverpool, then got Golded at K7, got horrifically drunk (hence my most drunk joinee title) and cried everywhere.

I knit lots and blog very rarely about it! I love meets and meeting people at them!

I love Join Me, it's given me amazing times and memories and delivered a gorgoeus ginger boy who makes me laugh and feel squishy everytime I look at him. It's easily the best thing that crashed into my life.

Edited by Gold Bismuth Shortt, 22 October 2010 - 07:27 am.

I knit, therefore I am; a knitter; or a nutter - you decide

Msot drunjk joineesd of teh years 2010

Walking the Great Wall of China http://annakajima.blogspot.com/, and just giving page http://www.justgiving.com/anna-shortt.

#19 Worm

Worm
  • Members
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:05 am

Morning all

Gold Joinee Worm  (which is my nickname - short for 'Bookworm')

I joined just before K2 (which was amazing) after reading - actually about halfway through reading - the book, which I bought because it was by that bloke who was Dave Gorman's flatmate.

I live up in Scotland, and only really make it to a couple of meets - Good Good Friday in Nottingham at Easter, which is always a really good laugh, and I form part of the strong defensive line of Team North in the Annual North vs. South football match.  I also go to Karmageddon in London in December, where I always manage to meet up with old friends, make new ones, and usually do some shouting to get people to buy stuff.

I was Silvered er...sometime ages ago for getting Join Me promoted in a few articles and stuff, then Golded at K er..4? That was for my part in Joinee Radio, where Matt Fowler, Goldy and myself used to entertain Joinees with a chatroom session and some kickin' choonz.  Well they did, I played 'old b*^$&@d music' according to Goldy.  

Not much else to say really - I'm not that interesting :)  Oh, I'm doing the Moonwalk in London in May, which I also did last year with a few other Joinees and had a great day - watch out for the inevitable sponsorship thread.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent -- Isaac Asimov
Nobody wins unless everybody wins  -- Bruce Springsteen

#20 joinee wolfman

joinee wolfman
  • Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:22 pm

hello,

i'm joinee wolfman (no great story behind the name) but usually known as graham / gray to those who know me personally. i'm 26 and come from rural nottinghamshire. i presently work in london and live in hertfordshire because big places frighten me. my work background is charity fundraising and i've worked for a few organisations throughout my career in the sector. my hobbies and interests include guitar music, real ale, non-fiction books, walking and being just like simon from the inbetweeners.

i genuinely don't recall when i became a joinee - but i think it was 2006. someone i worked with recommended the book and i loved it. sending my passport photo through the post seemed the right thing to do. since then, i've recruited a former girlfriend to become a joinee and also my little sister (wolfette - again, no great story behind it.) i try and stick to the good friday thing but if the opportunity to raok someone comes around then i'll jump at the chance.

there's not too much to tell about my "time" with join me. i like a good debate about biscuits or improving the world in off topic on here. i also love to help people with advice about things because i've had the favour returned on numerous occasions. some very good advice, too. there's some brilliant joinees on here. hopefully some of the wisdom will find it's way to you whenever it's needed.

until next time,

wolfman

#21 GJ cDave

GJ cDave
  • Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:47 pm

Hi I'm Crazy Dave,

I'm another one of those who read the book because it was written by the co-author of "Are you Dave Gorman?" However I didn't Join at that stage. I'd've been at University, and far to busy drinking helping run societies studying to get around to joining something that would probably have finished once the book launched.

By 2007 I'd been living in London for a couple of years, but didn't know that many people. This was something of a momentous year for me. Firstly I started going to Science Fiction Literary conventions, where I felt like I'd found a tribe of people I could call me own. Secondly, I was upstairs at the Cock, when I saw a young Loud Joinee Freshmaker making animals out of fruit and toothpicks, and wondered over to ask what he was up to. From then on I was a regular at the Thursday Cocks. And a short time later found, to my surprise, that I suddenly knew loads of people in London. Including my lovely lady *Waves at Aynsley*.

I post obsessively on the forum, then disappear for months. I've been to the occasional meet, but all the Karmageddons since I joined. The RAoK march genuinely is one of the highlights of the year for me.  

I absolutely love the Joinee community. Having as it's foundations something a bit silly, a bit kind, and quite social, seems to have drawn people reflecting the best of those qualities.

Hooray for you!
Best Haircut 2008 Forum Awards
Most Nominated 2009 meta Forum Award
Joinee Olympic 2010 Slippy-Slidy champion

#22 Joinee Hathorn

Joinee Hathorn
  • Members
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:38 pm

I'm Noel

I was given Yes Man for Christmas in 2005 and pretty soon afterwards Join Me was on order from Amazon.  Joined in Feb 06 having been brainwashed by the leaders written musings.  Made it to play in the annual N vs. S football match in 2007, which of course the South won, and I was assumed to be a ringer by the bitter North... until they recognised me from the forum.  Since then I've mostly been a presence on the Forum... which has helped me through many hours of procrastination (caused by giving up work to be a student for a second time).  My other half isn't a Joinee but acts as my social secretary, so many various engagements have come between me and attending meets, however I did make it to GGF this year for my first meet proper like... and my second N vs. S football match, which of course the South won again (I see a pattern!).  

So I'm mostly a forum presence, but intend on being a Team South regular and will get my backside into gear and get to a few more meets in the future.  This place is great, lots of kind helpful people to point you in the right direction when you have some problem or other.  So hope to see you around and about!

p.s.  I do you like your shoes (especially if you happen to be Japanese... man that country has good taste in footwear)
__Noel___________________________________________

#23 HRH Gold Joinee Sheli

HRH Gold Joinee Sheli
  • Members
  • 8,297 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:08 pm

View PostSJ Buzz Drought, on 21 October 2010 - 08:07 pm, said:

Hullo,

Silver Joinee Drought here. From Cheshire originaly (and Ireland before that), Currently living in Leeds with my girlfriend Silver Joinee Sheli who , yep you guessed it i met through Join Me, Birmingham i think, or nottingham? somewhere wierd. I Joined october 04 and like that... i was gone, but then i came back, and fun ensued. No idea why i was silvered, i can only assume i had been quantum leaped out and Sam Becket did something pretty uber to get me recognised!

For me, Join Me transcended the book along time ago. and its such a part of my life, that it has changed it enormously for the better. Wish i could attend more meets and get the chance to meet a load more of you but funds lack and im working on it!.

View PostPoohbah (Gsq), on 21 October 2010 - 08:47 pm, said:

You met Shelley at Birmingham, it was a FabFeb. :)

Actually, we met in London. At ice skating before Ksomething. I just took no notice and didn't remember him! :P

Hi! *waves* I'm Silver Joinee Sheli (or Spaca joinee redlocks, or sheliphant, or Smeli...)

I joined when I was at college in... 2003?? A long time ago anyway! My first meet was GGF2 where I stayed at a joinee's house with a load of people I didn't know, ate a lot of biscuits and had a lot of fun.

I don't get to see my joinee friends as much as I would like anymore, because I am no longer a student (well, I AM, but I'm a student TEACHER now and we don't get to do fun stuff like miss lectures to go to go-karting events or a flash-mob pillow fight!) and also because I live in Leeds, and a lot of the joinees I would like to see live Darn Saaaaf or in Liverpool.

As I mentioned, I am a student teacher at the moment and it is HARD WORK but I am getting through it slowly and hopefully I will have something awesome at the end of it :)

I like cross-stitch, singing and cooking, I enjoy but am rubbish at knitting. I go to swing dance classes which is the MOST fun ever. I like taking photos but my camera is broken at the moment. Booo.

Thats all folks :)
Penny Caaaaaaaaaan!
(Spaca Joinee Sheli Redlocks - King of the Geeks)

#24 Poohbah (Gsq)

Poohbah (Gsq)
  • Members
  • 16,807 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:32 pm

View PostHRH Silver Joinee Sheli, on 22 October 2010 - 07:08 pm, said:

fun stuff like miss lectures to go to go-karting events
:D

I'm singing that 5ive song in my head now....!

#25 HRH Gold Joinee Sheli

HRH Gold Joinee Sheli
  • Members
  • 8,297 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:23 pm

OOOOH! At school today, we were talking about horrid jobs that victorian children had to do... and one of them involved the danger of... SCALPING!

It was all I could do not to giggle :D Tuck your hair into your go-karting suit girls. Or you will get scalped! What a chat up line  :lol:
Penny Caaaaaaaaaan!
(Spaca Joinee Sheli Redlocks - King of the Geeks)

#26 Poohbah (Gsq)

Poohbah (Gsq)
  • Members
  • 16,807 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:32 pm

:lol: :lol:

I love the scalping story.  And I love watching girls have the scalping story chat-up treatment. It's when he draws the outline around his head and they squeal.... brilliant. I have no idea why they did not just swoon at his feet! ;)

#27 Au Joinee Rory

Au Joinee Rory
  • Members
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:58 pm

I'm Rory. I'm retired. I invented dice.

#28 SJ heulwen

SJ heulwen
  • Members
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:07 am

Heya,
I'm Silver Joinee Heulwen. Heulwen is my first name, and it's the Welsh word for sunshine. When I first joined, I told so many people that - Jen (Gold Joinee Lincoln) suggested my Joinee name should have been "Joinee It's Welsh for Sunshine"... The reason I'm not joinee Fowler (which is actually my surname) is because when I joined way back in November 2003 after reading the book which Jen leant me, I'd popped onto the forum and saw that a Joinee Fowler already existed... and he was *already* a silver joinee! So, yeah - I hoped that all the other millions of Heulwens in the world hadn't beaten me to it. And I was right! Phew! :)
My first meet was Karmageddon 2 in December 2003. I didn't have anyone to go with, so had arranged that I would meet Joinee Bonathan (Warren) at the Millennium Bridge for the duck race... whilst on the tube to get to the bridge I spotted a person holding a rubber duck, who was standing with someone who had a Join Me badge on their bag. I obviously had to approach, and it turned out to be none other than Warren with the Oxford joinees. Of all the carriages on all the tubes in all of London I managed to get in the same one as the stranger I was going to meet when I got to my destination. Karma???
I was silvered at the Raymond Price Pub Crawl for making 2 Join Meets in London in so many months (+ the rest of my winning team the Karma Llamas got silvered because I asked Danny to).
I still long for my golding, although gold doesn't really suit me so I want to be the first white gold joinee ('coz it looks like silver but it's more expensive)... HOWEVER I did get a the "Spirit of Join Me Award" at last year's Karmageddon. I was too busy talking to actually find out why I was being presented it, but I did get a bottle of malibu so all was good :)

I think that's it about my joineewise. I go to as many meets as my bank balance will allow. Outside of this thing I'm a manager of a community centre, spend lots of time going to conventions, gigs and comedy stuff. Oh, and I love True Blood more than I probably should.

#29 Mr Phil

Mr Phil
  • Members
  • 15,912 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:27 am

Hello, I'm Silver Joinee Mr Hatchard.

I'm a 29 year old secondary school maths teacher, and I also do theatre and comics and stand-up comedy and stuff.

I joined in September 2004 after getting back from 7 months in Tanzania, and bought the book in Waterstones on 3 for 2.  It looked like good therapy for the culture shock of returning home, and it looked vaguely familiar (I later remembered seeing Danny on BBC Breakfast when the book originally came out).

I was silvered at K4 in 2006 for "too many reasons to mention", and I'm a former (controversial) Join Me Hill Rolling Champion.

And I like your shoes.
EvilFlea - http://www.evilflea.com
the blog with the woofing dog - http://blog.evilflea.com

Fabulous and Adorkable since GGF3
Doppelgangometer reading: 0036.5

#30 G J Katie

G J Katie
  • Members
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 02:49 pm

Hi, I'm Katie.

I ran away from home at 15 to become a lion tamer but instead discovered a magnificent talent for clowining around. I can wear big shoes and red noses, catch people out with my hilarious squirty plastic flower and chuck buckets of water left right and centre. My talents gained me a leading role in a top Danish soap opera but unfortunately I was sacked because the producers thought I should act rather tham mime , fools, what do they know?!

In my spare time I'm a 24 year old student nurse living in Sheffield. I read "Join Me" nearly 8 years ago, I should have been in an A-level History lesson but I decided to skive and read instead.

You're all very pretty. xx

#31 Joinee Hollis

Joinee Hollis
  • Members
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:36 pm

Helloooo my name is Lisa, I became a Joinee in late 2004ish I think, I joined the forum a year or so later. I live i Birmingham and work in car insurance. I wear glasses.
Part Gay. Space Pirates.

www.twitter.com/joineehollis

#32 Au Joinee Rory

Au Joinee Rory
  • Members
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:54 pm

View PostAu² Joinee Rory, on 28 October 2010 - 09:58 pm, said:

I'm Rory. I'm retired. I invented dice.

I'm not actually retired, and my role in the invention of dice was actually rather minimal.

In truth, I'm an Irish software engineer living in London. I'm 27, but as usual I had to a bit of mental arithmetic to figure that out. I live with Joinee Eileen, who doesn't post here very much. I joined in May 2006, right as I was coming to the end of my masters. I was still living in Ireland at the time. My first meet was in October 2006, in Chester. I spent a couple of years flying over here pretty frequently to go to meets, until I finally moved (for work, but also admittedly a little bit for Join Me) in June 2009.

My Golding came about by rather an unusual sequence of events, so I may be the only Gold Joinee who was not presented with that title by Danny. (Anyone happen to know otherwise?)

#33 Joinee Slayton

Joinee Slayton
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:04 pm

Hello All, for the boost of my ego I shall write this in 3rd person.

Joinee Slayton is a newcomer to the whole Join Me trend, but is glad to see that although he joined late, there is plenty more fun to be had. Joinee Slayton is in his late teens and is studying Psychology, Media, and English Literature (don't expect gramatical correctness 100% of the time, though). In his spare time he enjoys going out with friends and being social, and then being extremely unsocial by indulging in books, films and Video games.

On a Friday on the way to college he stopped by a charity sale of books outside a popular supermarket, and looked through the selection. He saw the Danny Wallace book, having read Danny Wallace and the COTU and the first half of Yes Man, he bought it. While not finished Slayton looked it up online and agreed with all the principles, and got his mum to post the letter this fine morning. He plans to finish the book.

Joinee Slayton hopes you don't think him badly for this post in said manner, and promises to strictly speak in the first person for the majority (51%) of his posts. :)

#34 Joinee Bird

Joinee Bird
  • Members
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:20 pm

I joined when I was at college in... 2003?? A long time ago anyway! My first meet was GGF2 where I stayed at a joinee's house with a load of people I didn't know, ate a lot of biscuits and had a lot of fun.
Oh god, I'd forgotten that.  How many people stayed there?  There was loads.  Who was the boy who stayed in the bedroom?  I don't even remember, I bet we never saw him again, probably scared him off.  Of course, the problem could have been my snoring.  Sorry about that.

View PostAu² Joinee Rory, on 31 October 2010 - 12:54 pm, said:

My first meet was in October 2006, in Chester. I spent a couple of years flying over here pretty frequently to go to meets, until I finally moved (for work, but also admittedly a little bit for Join Me) in June 2009.
Wasn't your first meet in Nottingham?  I'm sure you were on our team for the Roak challenge at one of the first nottingham meets.  Shiny was on our team too?  Or have I dreamt that?

Hello I'm Joinee Bird, even though that's not even my name anymore.  My name is Judy Thomson, after getting married last November to Dougie.  I don't think he's joined yet but we're coming to Karmageddon so I'll see if I can work on him.  He did read the book ages ago and enjoyed it.

I've been around forever and like some others, joined after knowing Danny from Are you Dave Gorman.  Been to heaps of meets all over the place, the first being K2 in London, which was amazing.  Met so many great people through here.  Originally from Birmingham but now living in Edinburgh.

#35 PJ Hannah B-R

PJ Hannah B-R
  • Members
  • 21,435 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:34 pm

View PostJoinee Bird, on 01 November 2010 - 02:20 pm, said:

Oh god, I'd forgotten that.  How many people stayed there?  There was loads.  Who was the boy who stayed in the bedroom?  I don't even remember, I bet we never saw him again, probably scared him off.  Of course, the problem could have been my snoring.  Sorry about that.

I was there too wasn't I? It was Angie's house, and we went to the radio station early in the morning. And Stim was there, and me and Jamie MET there, and Mhairi was there but had a hotel the next night but noone believed her so she was forced to stay at westy's, and Gresh, and Varma was there the first night, and Jen, and EVERYONE!
The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is to high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.

Never look down on someone unless you're helping them up.

#36 Joinee Bird

Joinee Bird
  • Members
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:59 pm

View PostGJ Hannah B-R, on 01 November 2010 - 02:34 pm, said:

I was there too wasn't I? It was Angie's house, and we went to the radio station early in the morning. And Stim was there, and me and Jamie MET there, and Mhairi was there but had a hotel the next night but noone believed her so she was forced to stay at westy's, and Gresh, and Varma was there the first night, and Jen, and EVERYONE!

Aye that was it, I can't even remember who else was there.  But there was definitely a boy in the bedroom with jen and angie and mhairi and me and shelli I think. A boy I didn't know at the time and as it's never been mentioned since I guess it's not someone we've ever seen since!  Aye, you and Jamie on the sofa, you big slobber monsters! Love ya really.

#37 Gold Joinee Mhairi

Gold Joinee Mhairi
  • Members
  • 8,122 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:23 pm

Was there a boy?! I don't remember that...however I do remember that being probably my favourite meet ever, being forced to stay at westys because no one believed a liability like me could possibly have organised a hotel (clearly I didn't, claire sorted it out...), and phil stopping at every cash machine on the way back to westys and then being hugely confused as to why he had £300 on him the next morning!! Class. Loved that meet.

Also, hello, I'm mhairi. But I'm on my phone and I really haven't got the energy to keep typing...I'm inherently lazy, that's really the gist of it!
"With madness, as with vomit, it is the passer by who recieves the inconvenience."

#38 Au Joinee Rory

Au Joinee Rory
  • Members
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:43 pm

View PostJoinee Bird, on 01 November 2010 - 02:20 pm, said:

Wasn't your first meet in Nottingham?  I'm sure you were on our team for the Roak challenge at one of the first nottingham meets.  Shiny was on our team too?  Or have I dreamt that?

Nope. I didn't make it to GGF until 2007. I think it involved a raok challenge in dreadful rain. Or was that the next year?

#39 spannz15

spannz15
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:12 am

Suuup. I'm spannz. which is short for spanna. people have been saying i'm a tool for most of my life, and then some people started calling me a spanna so it just stuck. 15 is my lucky number/the number i wear fot footie.
The actual name is Danielle or Danneh or Dizzle O Lizzle :P. I'm 19 and was born in Ireland, lived in North london until I was 3 and Nottingham for the rest. I'm dyslexic and not very good at punctuation or wording stuff but still got 13 a* at GCSE so i'm not thick i promise.
I read yes man first because the cover looked cool, it stood out on the shelf being bright red amongst loadsa white covers. and from there read all the other danny wallace books. I've been on the forum for nearly a year ish i think and been to one meet which was in Nottingham anyway, so not heaps of effort but I am a bit of a peasant.
Atm i work nights in sainsburys stocking up shampoo mostly, and have deffered enrty to the army whatever that means, guess they'll ring me in 2 years to sort it. I am going to do a business course next year I think as I was advised by my volunteer worker coordinator people to do so, because, and i quote, i "am an awesome project manager". yeah gooo me.

I like football. A lot.
Shameless is an actual documentry of my family which for a while I was ashamed about, but hey, there my fam, even if they are a bunch of pikeys.
Oh and I collect trainers. Most of which I have never worn. Some are nto even opened, like my death star limited edition adidas hi tops which are tbh AWESOME!

Edited by spannz15, 02 November 2010 - 04:13 am.

I am a complete Tool

#40 GJ Del (The Train Man)

GJ Del (The Train Man)
  • Members
  • 11,462 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:54 pm

View PostAu² Joinee Rory, on 01 November 2010 - 11:43 pm, said:

Nope. I didn't make it to GGF until 2007. I think it involved a raok challenge in dreadful rain. Or was that the next year?
No, 2007 was beautiful sunshine. 2008 was the year of rain and damp, and also driving snow and hail during the football.

Edited by Del aka TrainMan, 02 November 2010 - 02:00 pm.

#41 Worm

Worm
  • Members
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:56 pm

I thought it was the other way round...but then I'm not that clever.

ETA: Del was right - 2008 was the year of the blizzard.

Edited by Worm, 02 November 2010 - 03:01 pm.

#42 Platinum Joinee Wilf (GD)

Platinum Joinee Wilf (GD)
  • Members
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:33 pm

View PostWorm, on 02 November 2010 - 02:56 pm, said:

I thought it was the other way round...but then I'm not that clever.

ETA: Del was right - 2008 was the year of the blizzard.

See, now that was just NASTY - at least the outfield players could run around a bit to keep warm!
Ta Wif pummetted to the foor.  Innit.

#43 Worm

Worm
  • Members
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:09 pm

Sorry to derail - I knew there was a picture of it somewhere.

Courtesy of PhilHatchard

Posted Image
North vs South: More Snow! by Phil Hatchard, on Flickr

#44 5. Bee

5. Bee
  • Members
  • 905 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:09 pm

Bee.

That's me up there about to make a fool of Bonathan. On my way to 10 goals in a 10-9 thriller. We might win again when I get back to playing.

Northern. Londoner. Geek. Alcoholic?
------------------------------
www.mattbee.co.uk
www.thelenprice3.co.uk
www.wearethemodes.com

#45 Mr Phil

Mr Phil
  • Members
  • 15,912 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:26 pm

View Post5. Bee, on 19 November 2010 - 02:09 pm, said:

Bee.

That's me up there about to make a fool of Bonathan. On my way to 10 goals in a 10-9 thriller. We might win again when I get back to playing.
The photo in question is from 2008.  We won 4-1 and I came on as a sub at 1-0 and scored 2.

You scored 10 in 2009.  Get it right.

PS Didn't you have a collapsed lung in 2008?  Or was that 2007?

#46 GJ Del (The Train Man)

GJ Del (The Train Man)
  • Members
  • 11,462 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:27 pm

That's not the 10-9. That's North 4 South 1.

#47 Mr Phil

Mr Phil
  • Members
  • 15,912 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:27 pm

Oh, you were there.  I remember you scoring the token fourth goal now.

#48 Joinee Bonathan

Joinee Bonathan
  • Members
  • 4,127 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:01 am

Silver Joinee Bonathan,

I've been away, but I shouldn't have been... I met a lot of great people here.

I also scored a goal from the halfway line in a North vs South game in Nottingham, I had a pint poured over my head at a Karmegeddon by Danny, I caused the first international pint downing contest in Karmegeddon history! I invented the Joinee Hill rolling challenge (Glasgow.. Morrow and Bee were there).

More importantly I moved away from Join Me for a silly reason.. I miss you kids. Oh and I sauntered in about 2002
Highest ever scorer in Joinee Cricket... 24

#49 Mr Phil

Mr Phil
  • Members
  • 15,912 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:19 am

View PostJoinee Bonathan, on 22 November 2010 - 12:01 am, said:

I also scored a goal from the halfway line in a North vs South game in Nottingham, *snip*
No you didn't.

It was over the bar.

#50 Joinee Hathorn

Joinee Hathorn
  • Members
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:03 am

No it wasn't, it bounced on the line.  We should use technology next year to solve these issues... show FIFA how it's done.
__Noel___________________________________________

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users