Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:47 pm

Here's my suggestion: http://www.facebook....id=256492610067

What do people think?

#102 CookieMonster

CookieMonster
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:37 pm

I went to the coast with my wife, 18yr old son and our 2 Boxer dogs over the August Bank Holiday weekend. While we were on the sea front my son and I bought £10.00 worth of tokens to go on some of the rides (waltzers etc)as boys will be boys! Anyway we'd had a few goes on some rides and had a couple of quids worth of tokens left over. I spotted a couple with their young daughter queuing up to buy some for her, so I walked up to 'Dad' and handed him our left over tokens. He was a bit surprised but very grateful for the gesture.  ;)

#103 Bellmanbird2b

Bellmanbird2b
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:36 pm

Not sure if any of you would be into this, but I use it because I'm planning my own wedding....but

http://forums.confet...p?act=SF&s=&f=7

there are always people on here who could benefit from RAoK!

xxx

#104 Diamond Joinee Whitby

Diamond Joinee Whitby
  • Members
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:59 pm

If you wish to help raise awareness of testicular cancer may I point you in the direction of...

http://uk.movember.com/mospace/348554/

... plus of course, be nice to raise more than my work colleagues. ;-)

#105 GJ cDave

GJ cDave
  • Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:47 am

View PostDiamond Joinee Whitby, on 04 November 2009 - 10:59 pm, said:

If you wish to help raise awareness of testicular cancer may I point you in the direction of...

http://uk.movember.com/mospace/348554/

... plus of course, be nice to raise more than my work colleagues. ;-)

These two guys are fantastic at doing awareness raising: http://www.onelumportwo.org.uk/
Best Haircut 2008 Forum Awards
Most Nominated 2009 meta Forum Award
Joinee Olympic 2010 Slippy-Slidy champion

#106 Alan J

Alan J
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:08 pm

View PostSilver Joinee, on 10 August 2007 - 12:31 pm, said:

why not?
It's one of those legal things because parking suppliers want to make more money they write "not transferrable" on the tickets and sometimes make you put your car number on the ticket so they know if the ticket was bought for this car otherwise you could pass on your ticket with spare time on to someone else.
Alan J - NEW joinee - minutes ago!

#107 GJ cDave

GJ cDave
  • Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:21 am

View PostAlan J, on 25 February 2010 - 07:08 pm, said:

Alan J - NEW joinee - minutes ago!

Welcome! And Biene ve noo.

I once parked my car somewhere a bit different to normal. I passed it a few days later, and it had something plain under the wipers. I thought it can't be a flier, so it's going to be a ticket isn't it. But it was a note from my flatmate saying "ha ha, scared you" or something like it.

So I reckon a post it note under the windscreen wipers saying "nice wheels" would be a good one.

#108 Mike

Mike
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:57 am

One idea that I had yesterday whilst walking through a park with a friend...

There was a family feeding the ducks there by the lake and I thought it would be nice to perhaps carry a small loaf around specifically to find a family that were duck-feeding and hand it over to them, especially if they were running low on their own supplies.

Or maybe carry a full loaf and go around handing a few slices out to various families.

It would, of course, ensure a lake full of very fat ducks. :P

#109 Joinatron

Joinatron
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:49 pm

Hi All,

SOrry if this has been posted before but I haven't actually read the whole thread. Come on it's like 3 pages long! Anyway, this is my homepage, it's charitable & free woop!

http://www.theanimal....faces?siteId=3

#110 joinee scott

joinee scott
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:31 pm

guys my freind lost his phone and cant contact anyone so if you have a spare phone that you were going to throw away just send it to bd161pw (dont spend any money on phones just old ones) :lol:

#111 DAbB

DAbB
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:12 pm

Hi there,

If anyone is interested in donating some of there time please have a look at the "requests" thread under "Charity for Disabled People Needs Help!". Any and all RAOK would be greatly appreciated!

#112 GJ cDave

GJ cDave
  • Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:39 am

Put in twice as much as needed in the canteen vending machine, and let the next person have it for free.

#113 GJ cDave

GJ cDave
  • Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:22 pm

If you're beside a pound shop and it's raining, buy a couple of umbrellas and give them out to damp looking passers by.

#114 Joinee McCurrach

Joinee McCurrach
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:07 pm

I passed a homeless person today who looked chilled to the bone - and not in a good way! As it was so cold, I walked into the nearest Starbucks, bought a hot chocolate and a muffin and passed them on to him. He was chuffed to bits.

Mal

Edited by Joinee McCurrach, 29 October 2010 - 10:08 pm.

#115 McCizzle

McCizzle
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:56 pm

i work in a pub an will pay for peoples drinks at times just 2 make em smile, also if they aint quite got enough for they're drink/s i cover it even gave the change to someone once though should do that more often

the main things i do at work which make people happy to see me are always smile, have a chat and listen to people and always say please and thank you :) manners cost nothin and a smile goes along way

#116 SJ Kiwi

SJ Kiwi
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:32 pm

You are all truly wonderful!

Sometimes it's just thinking of the small things that can mean so much to another person. Some workmen spent a week digging up the road, all the neighbours were complaining to them about the noise and giving them grief. I made them a cup of tea each and took it out to them....one big burly Kiwi bloke had tears in his eyes he was so touched, said it was the first time anyone had ever just thought to do that for them. Now I'm on the lookout for workmen to cheer up haha, probably get the reputation of being a mad English tea woman!

Don't think i dare do the reverse pickpocketing! Be careful with that one  :)

#117 LauraJ

LauraJ
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:21 pm

compliment guys

I think this is a great idea :)

and I think I'm going to go give blood this week :)

Edited by LauraJ, 13 December 2010 - 06:58 pm.

fortune favours the brave

#118 DamoLeeds

DamoLeeds
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:11 pm

An elderly lady in the community always saves me the evening newspaper so I don’t have to pay for one. She also keeps sports cuttings for me.  

Also if you’re at a football game – why not take some confetti and give it to a kid?

They’ll love chucking it about when they team scores!

#119 stormystar

stormystar
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:39 pm

I love so many of these idea's and am definitely going to try some of them out. I always try to be nice to people anyway, like saying thank you to people etc. One thing I did at work all the time was to always say hello and be nice to the cleaners, post room workers etc. I hated the way a lot of my colleagues just ignored them like they were insignificant. I always try and compliment good service too. Basically the things that we should be doing anyway. I have a question though. I like some of the ideas like buying coffee for the next person in the queue and giving out chocolate bars, but I don't want people to think I'm trying to pick them up! lol. Does that ever happen and how do you deal with it? And what do you do if your handing out chocolate, cookies, whatever and people look at you like your mad? I think that would happen to me if I did it!  :blush:

#120 joineebaljit

joineebaljit
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:25 am

Morning amigos, just wanted to let you know at lunch time I'm off to buy a big issue seller lunch and going into a charity shop and give the workers a big box of chocs to enjoy themselves and not sell!!

I love what we do

#121 joinee coolio

joinee coolio
  • Members
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:23 am

Great ideas!  One low cost RAoK I once did with a few other joinees was to buy book tokens in £1 units and tuck them into the slef-help books in Waterstones along with a lovely post-it note.  Cheering up people who need it!
Imagine fighting the power of the gods with flashlight batteries!  Needless to say, it didn't work, and everyone died.

#122 Siobhán

Siobhán
  • Members
  • 8,231 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:09 pm

Seriously, seriously need to remember the power of a genuine compliment!

I got complimented on my shoes today and it made me feel 5 inches taller (though the shoes do that too)

Was having a rubbish day and that gave me a massive boost.

You dont have to tell people they look like dominatrixes though like my colleague did....  :unsure: :blush: :rolleyes:
"We can only learn to love by loving"
Iris Murdoch

#123 sebrkw

sebrkw
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:38 pm

Just want to say how great I think RAOKs are. It's loads of fun making them up and even funner to do them :D
ANyhow! Here's my contribution:

Write some complimentary graffitti e.g "I think rachael has a lovely smile"
Tell someone you believe in them
Write a complimentary limerick or haiku about someone and give it to them in a n envelope as a present
BUy a packet of mints and offer them to the people you meet throughout your day until the packet is finished.
Leave a note saying "have a nice day :)" in the change slot of a vending machine.

PS The "Free Hugs" idea is hilarious! I hope I have the balls to do that one day:)

love from seb

#124 LauraJ

LauraJ
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:58 am

I've been making encouragement banners saying things like:

"they're only jealous"

and

"you're so inspirational"

they really do add a bit of colour on a dreary day :)
fortune favours the brave

#125 Miss dark-angelic heart

Miss dark-angelic heart
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:47 am

Last week Saturday I had one of those paper card one-day bus passes and I had finished everything I had to do that day and I was on my way home. I got off the bus and was at the bus stop just randomly talking to this woman who had a pram with the cutest baby inside :) the conversation got started when she had asked me where I got my handbag from and just continued from there and she was talking about all the places she had to go and things she had to do that day like food shopping and going to the GP etc. also she was talking about how expensive things are becoming and the cost of living is increasing but how wages are staying the same. Also how bus fare is so expensive that is why she is walking everywhere to save money any way she can. So I just gave her my bus pass because after all I was minutes away from home and did not plan on going out again and she was really happy. So an idea for a RAoK is maybe just giving away your bus pass when your finished with it so someone else can use it and benefit from it :)

#126 Kashika

Kashika
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:54 pm

Write nice little letters (e.g. "Have a nice Day") and put them under windshield wipers of random cars :)

Don't lay them on benches, they could flew away D:!
A real smile is one of the biggest presents someone could give you

#127 markjam82

markjam82
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:02 pm

Hi,  I did my first (and last sadly) RAOK about four years ago when I started seeing Holly (who became my wife 3 years later).  I took Holly to watch her first ever premiership football match (Newcastle v Charlton) and, on the way back to the car, I offered to buy a homeless man a coffee.  Me and Holly we're surpirsed when the gent replied "Yes please !! I'll have a cappuccino" - he must have been new to homelessness.  The reply was shortly followed by "Actually, surprise me".
Me and Hol went to the nearest coffee place and jointly bought the man a cappuccino, which Hol handed to him.

It felt really good, however, I haven't done a RAOK since.  I've recently split up with Hol and am looking to this forum for inspiration.

P.S. I'm also a huge "Yes Man" fan (prefer the book) and I'll be looking to that book as well for guidance to get my life going again.  

...Watch this space for my next RAOK.

P.S. Me and Holly are still friends :)

Thanks for reading

Mark

#128 markjam82

markjam82
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:14 pm

Here's an RAOK idea:

Commuters:Give a bus driver a thank you card to thank him for ensuring you reached your destination safely.

#129 Rachael

Rachael
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:46 pm

Today I did my first RAoK, it gives you such a buzz!

I took a free discount voucher that you often get in high street stores, waited for a while in the said store and gave it to a couple of students who were worrying about how expensive the products were.
This RAoK is cheap AND it saves the wastage of vouchers that would otherwise be unused...

I'm addicted to RAoKs!

Much love, Joinees!

Rachael

#130 Rachael

Rachael
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:52 pm

you could donate old books to your local or school library; schools are often in need of books as long as they aren't too tatty. charity shops are an obvious option. otherwise you could give them to a book bank at a recycling centre.

I donated some books to my school library; the librarian almost cried! It's especially helpful seeing as stretched funds are being slashed even more with the budget cuts...

Keep up the amazing work guys!
Rachael

#131 BigDaveSB

BigDaveSB
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:22 pm

This is either a free RAoK, or potentially very expensive...

Basically, the British Council of Capoeira has marked 2011 as a year to raise awareness of this fantastic mix of music, dance and martial arts from Brazil. To that end I"m running the London Marathon in my capoeira gear.

For the free RAoK, could you just simply watch this video I made:
Capoeira and the London Marathon

It will take 2:45 of your life, and will (in my opinion) be worth it.

Obviously, I couldn't run the marathon and not do it for charity too, so feel free to follow the tiny plea at the end, but don't feel under any obligation to do so, times are tough after all.

But please watch the vid so you can see a little of what capoeira is!

#132 BigDaveSB

BigDaveSB
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:54 am

Not got any connection to a school, but still get offered Tesco/Sainsbury's school vouchers?

Ask if someone behind you in the queue would like them, or, what the heck, get an envelope, pop to a school near you, and put them through their letter box!

#133 smileylass

smileylass
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:28 pm

Sweeties for street sweepers, they spend all day cleaning up everone elses rubbish and wrappers, they deserve some recognition!
also prezzies for pizza guys next time you get takeaway give the delivery guy a treat too!
Don't sweat the small stuff. It's all small stuff.

#134 MalkyBarKid

MalkyBarKid
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:38 pm

Here's one I came across in our local paper...

58 y/o man launches 'send us a quid' website

58 year old man from Sheffield has entrepreneurial brainwave - he's asking people to 'send us a quid!'

www.thestar.co.uk/community/the-diary/could_a_new_website_see_don_quids_in_1_3300350

Are people kind hearted for this to work?

It made me laugh anyway...For the picture alone I might just donate.

Edited by MalkyBarKid, 19 April 2011 - 01:39 pm.

#135 Live2Love2Laugh

Live2Love2Laugh
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:18 am

Hello everyone, I'm new so be nice!

As it was friday yesterday and of course, friday the 13th, eek. I made sure to do my first random act of kindness for the Karma Army...

The sun was shining so I bought a box of 6 cornettos, ate one and gave the rest to people I met in the street. One woman turned me down as it was a flavour she didn't like but the rest were grateful. I almost regretted eating one myself as it was a chance to make a 6th person happy but alas, a little bit of selfishness took over.

#136 Live2Love2Laugh

Live2Love2Laugh
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:33 am

@ Mike

A lovely idea, however giving bread to ducks is not good for them, they cannot digest the yeast!

Edited by Live2Love2Laugh, 14 May 2011 - 09:38 am.

#137 Joinee Gemma C

Joinee Gemma C
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:58 pm

OK, so having been rather pre-occupied in recovering from complete exhaustion and visiting my Gran on Friday, I didn't get a chance to RAoK.

But... today I went to Waterstones (to buy 'Friends Like These', and also a copy of 'Join Me', as I seem to have permanently lent mine). And I had vouchers to use. Which I did.

But, I had one spare - put a £5 voucher in a self-help book. Felt so great walking out  :D . Brill idea that I read on here  :) .

#138 Joinee Snowberry

Joinee Snowberry
  • Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:41 am

http://www.postpals.co.uk/

This is kind of related to Allice's bucket list (on another thread)
If it has been posted before then my apologies

Post Pals is a fundraising group (soon to be charity) for children with terminal or life limiting conditions. It's a simple idea in that you send a letter, postcard, pressie or email to any of the children or their siblings on the list. Lots of positive post that makes them smile!
Please take a look!

Edited by Joinee Snowberry, 13 June 2011 - 05:42 am.

#139 Joinee Ashcroft

Joinee Ashcroft
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:21 pm

View PostJoinee Snowberry, on 13 June 2011 - 05:41 am, said:

http://www.postpals.co.uk/

This is kind of related to Allice's bucket list (on another thread)
If it has been posted before then my apologies

Post Pals is a fundraising group (soon to be charity) for children with terminal or life limiting conditions. It's a simple idea in that you send a letter, postcard, pressie or email to any of the children or their siblings on the list. Lots of positive post that makes them smile!
Please take a look!

I'll definatley have a look into this.  Sounds like a lovely thing to do that could make a difference (no matter how small) to real peoples lifes.  Again thanks for posting this, if even a few people on the forum take part it would really show how much our cult.....sorry collective  ;)  care!  :)  

Its really nice being a member of such a thoughtful group.  :D

Thanks to all.

Alan

#140 joineebaljit

joineebaljit
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:02 am

Morning Joinees, I've just been searching on the Just Giving site for people who missed reaching their targets and thought I could help them and their charity. I found one (complete stranger) and helped them reach their target, as well as a hospice for young'uns - check out the message i left for them too

http://www.justgiving.com/AnitaWhite

#141 missfitz

missfitz
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:17 pm

I'm new to the site but thought i would post some of my favourite RAoKs..
-contacting employers to praise good customer service of one of their staff members, I always ask for the feedback to be passed on to the person involved too.
-taking advantage of offers on bottles of cold drinks on hot days and offering one to bus drivers/ people working outside/ homeless people.
-donating tea/coffee/sugar/hot chocolate/biscuits to local voluntary services/charities/helplines to keep their volunteers and staff happy :)
-complimenting people as mentioned previously is in my opinion the best one, can really make a big difference!!
-also asking the person behind me at the supermarket till if they have a nectar card/ tesco clubcard etc and scanning your points on their card always gets a welcome and very surprised response!

There are lots more but my brain is only half functioning as it's late!

Love the ideas already posted and love that other people are going out of their way to make other people happy :)

#142 Platinum Joinee West

Platinum Joinee West
  • Members
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:06 pm

View Postmissfitz, on 21 June 2011 - 10:17 pm, said:

I'm new to the site but thought i would post some of my favourite RAoKs..
-contacting employers to praise good customer service of one of their staff members, I always ask for the feedback to be passed on to the person involved too.
-taking advantage of offers on bottles of cold drinks on hot days and offering one to bus drivers/ people working outside/ homeless people.
-donating tea/coffee/sugar/hot chocolate/biscuits to local voluntary services/charities/helplines to keep their volunteers and staff happy :)
-complimenting people as mentioned previously is in my opinion the best one, can really make a big difference!!
-also asking the person behind me at the supermarket till if they have a nectar card/ tesco clubcard etc and scanning your points on their card always gets a welcome and very surprised response!

There are lots more but my brain is only half functioning as it's late!

Love the ideas already posted and love that other people are going out of their way to make other people happy :)

Some excellent ideas. I especially love the first one, a compliment costs nothing!
http://www.WestArtAndGlass.com for hand-made glass and arty things.
http://baby-glass.com for pictures printed on glass.

#143 Joinee Snowberry

Joinee Snowberry
  • Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:10 pm

I've only just caught up with this thread since last week; funnily enough, this morning I rattled off a letter to Currys about a member of staff who gave fantastic customer service the other day to me; then this afternoon I've sent a box of chocolates down to the ladies that run the youth group, with strict instructions that the kids can't eat them!

#144 Satchmo

Satchmo
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:13 pm

I'm a new Joinee (today), but RAoK's are definitely on my rolling to-do lists.  

One thing that I try to do is give my pre-paid parking ticket to someone (although be careful as some say "not transferrable").  

A great thing that someone in my work-place does each year is "Lent Angels" where you pick someones name out of the hat and each week leave them a gift from their Lent Angel.  It can be something like: a poem, a bar of chocolate, some seeds, some handcream.  You'll often see an all-staff email saying thank you to their Lent Angel.  

Someone once stopped by my desk and said "I said a prayer for you this morning".  I don't think they knew what was troubling me, but I did have a big dilemma to overcome.  

"Be generous, and you will be prosperous. Help others, and you will be helped." Proverbs

Have a great week.

#145 Joinee Snowberry

Joinee Snowberry
  • Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:35 pm

Hello Satchmo; I'm glad you find the site so inspirational! :D

#146 Joinee Jess and Lil Min

Joinee Jess and Lil Min
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:04 pm

I am going to a wedding on Saturday and when I went to the Debenhams wedding list to buy their present I searched for weddings being held the next Friday. I picked one at random and spent a fiver on the happy couple - I left a note too, wishing them a wonderful day and saying that it was from a Joinee - Maybe they'll look it up and become Joinees too!
Proud nerd since '86 (and rearing another to continue the tradition)

#147 joinee wolfman

joinee wolfman
  • Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:43 pm

i'm sending someone a limited edition pin badge they're hunting for and i also bought an apple for a work colleague at lunchtime after i heard her saying she'd misplaced hers that morning. two nice raoks that cost very little.

#148 Gold Joinee Abad

Gold Joinee Abad
  • Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:53 am

there are some in this page I've just found by chance http://www.helpother...theme#anonymous
FREE HUGS!!

#149 jessimacaa

jessimacaa
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:30 pm

Calling all dog lovers!

A lovely dog-loving woman living in the Turks and Caicos set up a rescue centre for potcakes (mongrels) roaming the island, often neglected, stray or straving. She has done wonders for the stray dogs and has spent all of her money on this.

Her dog is in desperate need of an operation and she is doing everything she can to raise the money for him.

If you can spare any money at all please visit

http://www.facebook....282904985073239 to read about Bloo the dog and his operation and then go to

http://operationbloo...s-acl-operation to donate.

It would make this lovely lady so happy to see her dog well again.

Thanks everyone

#150 georgeresch

georgeresch
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:05 pm

I can't believe a forum like this exists.  This is fantastic.  I just started something that I'm looking to share with a community JUST like this.  The website is http://www.ifoundmoneytoday.com - a social experiment in anonymous giving.  Basically I leave small amounts of money around for people to find for the simple fact that finding money is AMAZING.  Money is not everything, but finding it is pretty cool and that's something we can all agree on.  I'm just trying to bring a little blast of joy to people's day and in turn to the people around them, so on and so forth until $5 has changed the entire world.  In theory anyway :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users